Monday, May 16, 2011

Potty training continues...for Momma and Daddy

We ventured out Friday evening to Forest Hill, La to visit Blaine's family on the first road trip with a newly potty trained toddler, and a 7-week old baby. Um, are we crazy???

The trip down was...um, long? Tiring? Stressful? Wyatt just used that time to decide he wanted to eat every 2.5 hrs, instead of the regular 3. So it ended up taking us 6.25 hrs instead of 5. Hello, 12:30am arrival time. :-| Audrey did ok with the pottying, save one issue...we stopped to get gas, and I'm feeding Wyatt in the car. Blaine goes inside to the restroom, and as soon as he leaves, she says "teetee potty!" Uh oh. I'm scrambling now. "Wait baby, don't teetee yet! We have to get on the potty!" Like she knows how to hold an urge?? She's JUST trained! So I'm thinking, do I stop nursing and try to run in with both kids?? Cell phone! Call Blaine back to the car! Ring ring.... He left his phone. THINK! I continue trying to talk her down on the off chance that maybe she hasn't already peed??? Blaine gets back and it's too late. Grr. I hate that she had an accident on account of our lack of planning! Oh well, I guess WE had to get potty trained too...new 1st priority when you stop- take the toddler to go potty! (Duh! say all you veteran parents, right? haha)

We also had a bit of trouble once we got to Nana's house. Somehow, we didn't carry our pottying skills over to a new location. 2.5 accidents on Saturday. After no accidents for 3 days! Ugh! I'm frustrated, and Blaine is too, since this is essentially his first day around her since training. I'm wondering if everyone, including my husband, is thinking, ha, yeah right, suuuuure she's potty trained! I had a moment of doubt when my SIL's suggested putting her in pull-ups. I wanted to say "no! I didn't do pull ups at all! Just straight to panties! And I'm not crazy, I'm promise, it HAS been working!!" They were trying to be helpful, cuz I know they could tell I was stressed. But it was really just a momentary setback because she loooooooooooves her cousins and didn't want to miss out on the action! Lesson quickly learned for us, once again: Take her to the potty at intervals and make her stay till she does her business. EVEN IF she says "ah done! hiney!" as soon as her butt hits the seat. Not that I fell for that one...nice try, Audgee.

After the unsuccessful potty day on Saturday, I was a bit stressed. I knew this because I dreamed "Tell Momma when you have to go teetee!" allllll night long! I also dreamed she and I were on a rollercoaster (the old Excalibur at Astroworld for you Houston folks) and she kept trying to fall out cuz she was too little. Symbolism, maybe? ha! I'm also stressing because now we're about to go to church Sun morning (our first public outing) and I'm going to leave her with folks she doesn't know. How's this gonna go???? Well, kudos to the folks in the Piglet Class at Calvary. They were unflapped by the potty trainer, and their only concern was that she hadn't gone by the time I picked her up! I was just relieved she didn't have an accident. I stressed for nothing though, because Sunday was back to her normal self. No accidents, and she continues dry overnight and through nap for 6 days now!

Tomorrow is the first day back to MDO since potty training. We'll see how it goes...hoping she plays the rock star card and shows em how it's done! And, if not, well, everyone has bad days right?

1 comment:

  1. This is when it comes in handy to have an empty cup in the car at all times. Abigail trained early and had ZERO ability to hold it. When she had to go, she had to go immediately. Like within 30 seconds. If she had to go while on the road, she couldn't even hold it to get inside anywhere (and since I had a 1 year old and was pg... that wasn't real easy to accomplish anyway). She peed in cups. My biggest fear was that she'd have to go right after passing the cantrell exit on our way to Maumelle. She wouldn't have been able to hold it across the bridge!

    ReplyDelete