Thursday, January 5, 2012

Ohhh the drama!

Girls are so dramatic. I'm allowed to say that, cuz I know I am (only at times!! haha). Some are worse than others for sure, and I feel like much of the female drama mentality can be encouraged/discouraged by environment. Thus, we try to have an environment of discouraging excess drama. That being said, I never really thought I'd have much drama to even deal with until closer to the teenage years! But little miss Audgee can put it on with the best of 'em.

Brushing her teeth has ALWAYS been a dramatic event in her life. We think it likely has become a vicious-cycle-type-issue that all started with her anatomy. She has a low/attached frenulum (that little piece of skin way up under your upper lip that crosses over to the gum), so hers goes down through her front teeth to the hard palate. Anyway, supposedly it can be quite sensitive, and well, it's in the way when trying to brush teeth. You get the picture. So here we are, at least 2 yrs worth of teeth brushing and every time is STILL an issue. Crying, wailing, "wiiiipe myyyyy tearrrrrrrrrs" (yes, that again), closing her lips around her teeth, etc. The latest addition to the "routine" is turning around to look in the mirror while crying. Oh yes. Not just crying, but watching herself cry! Seriously??

One recent morning when my patience was likely thin, the drama was definitely high, and time was running short, I said "You turn back around! You do not watch yourself cry in the mirror like that!!" (Once again, one of those times you go "What did I just say?? I never thought I would have the occasion to utter those words!") I followed the reprimand with "You. are. pitiful." (Extend me some grace...thin patience, high drama, remember?) Further proof that this was drama, not true distress, sweet Audrey turns back to look in the mirror with no tears, a sweet smile, and in a darling voice "Yes Momma, I boo-tiful." I wanted to holler PITIFUL! I didn't say beautiful! But the drama was done for the moment, and all I could do was laugh and say, "Yes baby, you are beautiful."

1 comment: