Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Unnatural circadian rhythms and the Friendship Song

Blaine is now halfway through another week of nightshifts in the ER at Children's. These nights are brutal! But even more so for him, of course. It's been tough for him to adjust his schedule, trying to figure out when the best time to sleep and eat. When exactly is breakfast when you work 8pm to 8am? Working at night and sleeping in the day is simply odd and off-puttin'. Unnatural, if you will. He's always asking me what day it is...when the day changes 4 hrs into his shift, that's hard to adjust on the paperwork. But then after he sleeps, the day hasn't changed yet...confusing? Yes. Blaine is such a trooper though. Maybe cuz complaining doesn't do him any good- he still has to do the work. So I do the complaining for him. :) When he was in med school, my common phrase during a tough rotation was "I hate med school!" Sombody had to hate it for him, right? If he hated it, it would only discourage him. So I'd ask, "Have I ever told you I hate med school?" Silly, right? Coming from someone NOT actually going through it. When he was in his first week of orientation for residency (not the first week of work just yet!), I came up with a new phrase. You guessed it: "I hate residency!" We had a good laugh about that one. Complaining aside, I do encourage him through the hard work that he can get through it, and that it will all pay off...one day.

On a different note...the Friendship Song. Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other's gold! Making new friends is hard. After the move in June, I sort of felt like I was in kindergarten again. Ya know, being the new kid in a new place and not knowing anyone? We joined First Baptist about the middle of July, and that's been fun to get to know people there. We're in a great Sunday school group. I think we're pretty much the young 'uns, but all of our friends have pretty much been older than us, so it's not a big deal. Plus we have a lot in common...there were 2 other babies born within 2 weeks of Audrey, plus several in the months before and after her. There's also some other medical people, and certain ones in the group remind us a little of people from Shreveport. Every Wednesday, several girls from church go out to lunch together, and I've been able to join them a few times, including today. It's been nice getting to know them and sharing about us too. I still have to remind myself that it takes a little time to feel like "one of the gang". Today was lots of fun, which prompted this post. On another friendship note, it seems I've found a kindred spirit in Sara Robertson. She's the wife of another peds resident, Chris. When I was big pregnant and had just moved to this new place, I would think of her to stop from feeling sorry for myself. :) She was not pregnant when they moved here...HOWEVER she just had a 1 weeks old little girl! Oh yeah, and a 2 yr old girl! We've been able to do a few mom things together and enjoy sharing momma-hood and being intern widows together. :) I'm not sure about the rules of wrapping up a blog post, but I'm done for now. Thank you, and I'll be here all week. (Feel free to comment on my nerdiness.)

No comments:

Post a Comment